A message from Penny Nance, President and CEO of Concerned Women for America:
As President and CEO of CWA, I would like to thank you for your interest in joining with us on our journey to impact our culture for Christ as the voice of conservative Christian women across America. CWA’s vision of a world in which every human life is valued, family is held sacred, and our nation’s history is honored is at the core of who we are. We are always looking to join hands with experienced professionals who want to add their energy to our work and are so pleased you are considering Concerned Women for America as your potential employer. The position of Press Secretary is critical to our mission and vision. I welcome your interest in joining a diverse, talented, professional, and motivated team.
The primary purpose of the Press Secretary is to position the work of Concerned Women for America (CWA) in local and national media outlets in order to grow our grassroots base and to influence public policy and culture. This requires knowledge of issues and CWA’s philosophy.
The person in this position may supervise an intern or others assigned to the Communications Department. This person will perform special projects as assigned by the Chief Executive Officer.
The Press Secretary is an exempt, salaried position. She reports to the Director of Communications or the CEO
The following are the basic responsibilities for this position:
- Strategize daily and work to create national attention to CWA and contribute to brand awareness
- Work to protect CWA’s brand and offset negative or unfair media depictions
- Review daily the news: websites, print, and broadcast news and work with CWA policy experts to determine what might warrant a CWA response.
- Maintain and build media lists
- Develop, write, and pitch appropriate press releases, op-eds, and other promotional materials for CWA. Ensure that these reach the proper media outlets in a timely fashion for the most effective results and all within the overall media strategy
- Handle media inquiries to CWA and then ensure that the proper CWA personnel respond appropriately and in a timely manner to meet media deadlines
- Develop relationships and follow-up with reporters and producers which give fair coverage to CWA’s positions and personnel
- Pitch the CEO and policy experts to national broadcast media
- Work with the CEO to develop communications strategy for the short and long terms
- Consult and assist with social media content as needed
- Represent CWA to key stakeholders including donors and grassroots leaders
- Research various issues and develop a strategy on how to best state CWA’s position on those issues
- Provide research, talking points, and other prep for CEO or other CWA spokes people
- Develop and execute press conferences, media events, and other functions as necessary to promote CWA activities and positions
- Promote programming to influencers (such as Allie Beth Stuckey, Prager U, Mark Levin, Louder with Crowder, Ben Shapiro, Newsmax, OAN, Daystar TV, CBN)
- Develop and execute media plans for CWA events
- Track media coverage of CWA and provide a written report weekly to CWA staff on key media coverage and opportunities
- Handle all administrative functions as required to perform duties or as assigned by supervisor
- Assist CEO with prep for speeches and other public events
- Assist CEO as back up spokesperson with media and other target audiences as assigned
- Other duties as assigned
- University degree
- Three or more years of communications experience coupled with a strong understanding of communication processes and outlets
- Experience communicating policy issues and conservative philosophy
- Demonstrate ability to communicate with a variety of stakeholders and the ability to respond to grassroots and supporters’ needs as well as exercise leadership and diplomacy amongst diverse perspectives and priorities.
- Has an active network of media contacts and experience/skill pitching and placing materials for an advocacy organization like CWA
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, Teams, and Outlook
- Strong English grammar and writing skills and the ability to communicate effectively through both the verbal and written word
- Ability to process information and make decisions on matters of significance in this area of expertise
- Ability to assist CEO and policy experts as back up spokesperson to media
Attitudes and Personal Characteristics
- Capacity to be detail-oriented and organized
- Honesty and integrity
- Wisdom, discernment, and intuition
- Commitment to quality
- An attitude of cooperation
- Discretion and judgment Strong sense of initiative and work ethic
- Ability to multi-task in a professional work setting
- Attitude of service
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
CWA offers staff members a competitive compensation and benefits package. Our benefits include medical coverage in addition to a medical flexible spending account and disability and life insurance. CWA also recognizes the importance of planning for the future and offers a 403(b) plan.
Our benefits don’t end there! We know how important it is to have a healthy work/life balance, and we help you achieve it. You will begin to accrue paid time off on your very first day and also receive eleven paid holidays per year.
Interested? We are waiting to hear from you!
- Familiarize yourself with CWA’s website ( www.concernedwomen.org).
- Email any questions or a copy of your cover letter and resume/CV toKenda Bartlett, Chief Administrative Officer, email@example.com
About Concerned Women for America
We are the nation’s largest public policy women’s organization, and we lead a movement dedicated to impacting the culture for Christ through education and public policy.
We work tirelessly for the core issues of the sanctity of life, defense of the family, education, religious liberty, national sovereignty, opposing sexual exploitation, and support for Israel. We know that educated and empowered women are better able to raise healthy, educated, and confident children and that their voices need to be heard for the benefit of society at large.
We’re making an impact together.
We exist to promote Biblical values and Constitutional principles through prayer, education, and advocacy.
We believe the women of America have great influence in this world, having a powerful voice in the affairs of this nation and on behalf of women abroad. We love being their voice in Washington and beyond. We believe change starts with each woman ... and we love being her heels on the ground in Washington, D.C., and beyond.
We provide our employees with meaningful opportunities to learn and grow. We especially encourage persons of diverse backgrounds to apply.