Project Veritas seeks an experienced and talented individual to serve as the second public face for our organization, building and maintaining press relationships and conducting interviews on behalf of Project Veritas. The Press Secretary will work closely with the Communications Director and Chief of Staff to execute on Communications Department priorities, represent Project Veritas in the public sphere, and expand PV’s message to new audiences. The ideal person would share our values, have managerial and spokesperson experience, and extensive experience in media and politics.
Veritas is one of the most unique and fastest-growing mission-driven nonprofits in the world. We release dozens of national stories on an annual basis, breaking through mainstream media firewalls and going direct to our consumers and supporters. We define our communications function to include the release and promotion of our stories, defense of our journalistic work from hostile outlets, digital marketing and fundraising efforts to expand our reach, and the full range of traditional press engagement functions. We measure our media efforts via audience size, low dollar donations, earned media, and most importantly, real world reforms and investigations that result from our stories.
The key objective of the Press Secretary will be to publicly represent our content and the hard work and editorial decisions that went into it, and to expand the reach of our stories.
OVERARCHING TALENT REQUIREMENT
The Press Secretary directs all messaging and interactions with traditional outlets. Candidates will be asked to create an in-interview communications strategy around one of our stories and provide examples of where they’ve built relationships with the press, served as a spokeperson, and represented an organization on a hot political topic or in a crisis.
- Address members of the press as the second public face of Project Veritas.
- Ensure consensus on the newsworthy elements of a release, and their consistent application across PV media and development products.
- Develop and maintain relations with press as well as media.
- Write press releases, advisories and other relevant materials.
- Work closely with the Communications Director and Chief of Staff to align press with company objectives and goals. Essentially, make sure we’re telling our best story.
- Collaborate with the Production and Development departments to ensure our stories are effectively represented in the public sphere and with our existing supporters.
- Serve as a key PV spokesperson and liaise with outside media, influencers and other organizations.
- Ensure effective outreach to external constituents to increase awareness and understanding of our mission.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- The Press Secretary should have prior experience and contacts with the media, be an exceptional writer and communicator, and be a proactive thinker and strategist.
- 10+ years of communications experience, preferably including director level responsibility for political and other campaigns and/or media experience dealing with political/cultural issues.
- Strong leadership and consensus building skills, with a willingness to continually embrace personal and professional development.
- Prior experience leading and developing a team of professionals, as well as working across indirect reports and cross-functional partners.
- Public relations experience including proactive marketing, crisis communications, copywriting, and proofreading.
- An existing cadre of media and press contacts, media relations experience, and an understanding of the conservative media property and non-profit space.
- Prior experience in news media, broadcast or written journalism, or other exposure or practice with the associated principles and ethics of those fields.
Competitive salary and benefits.
About Project Veritas
Investigate and expose corruption, dishonesty, self-dealing, waste, fraud, and other misconduct in both public and private institutions in order to achieve a more ethical and transparent society.