- Manages all of the company’s (mechanical) utility patent and industrial design legal issues worldwide.
- Manages intake of patent clearance requests and conducts worldwide freedom-to-operate searches for product and packaging designs in the beauty industry, for items such as bottle designs, beauty tools, mascara brushes, and nail lamps.
- Analyzes technical drawings and advises product and package design teams on relevant prior art and ways to reduce risk of infringement.
- Must be self-motivated and able to manage multiple projects; able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Prepares design patent and/or utility patent applications (typically not more than a few each year); response to office actions.
- Manages industrial design and (mechanical) utility patent portfolio worldwide and coordinates with outside counsel and other in-house attorneys.
- Conducts competitive landscape searches.
- Coordinates with inventors to obtain invention disclosure forms and assignment documents.
- Coordinates with outside counsel to ensure the patent docketing system is up to date.
- Conducts patent training sessions with the product and package design teams.
- Assists with reviewing and rationalizing the company’s patent portfolio.
- Ability to work remotely from anywhere in the continental United States.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Provides other legal and business support as needed.
- Technical background (B.S.) in mechanical engineering, package engineering, or design engineering.
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- 2+ years of hands-on experience personally conducting freedom-to-operate searches and evaluating search results.
The ideal candidate will also:
- Have a J.D. (ii) have a strong background in chemistry and will be also able to work on patent clearance and filings for product formulas for color cosmetics, skincare products, and hair color and hair care products; (iii) be able to draft and review contracts such as product development and joint development agreements; and (iv) be able to travel to the Company’s Corporate Headquarters on occasion.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Revlon has a long-standing reputation as a trendsetter in the worlds of cosmetics, skin care, fragrance, and personal care, having established itself as an innovator in beauty when the company was founded in 1932. Revlon is a global color cosmetics, hair color, beauty tools, fragrance, skin care, anti-perspirant/deodorant, and beauty care products company, with a mission driven by glamour, excitement, and innovation through the creation of high-quality products at affordable prices.