Job Category: E04 Managers
Requisition Number: MGRGL06456
Revlon, an iconic brand synonymous with high quality, innovative beauty and cosmetic products throughout its 90-year history, is currently offering a unique opportunity for an experienced, creative professional to join its dynamic Research and Development organization as the Manager of Global Product Safety. This position, which reports to the Vice President of Global Regulatory, Safety and Consumer Science, is based in Edison, NJ, with direct reports in Edison and Barcelona, Spain.
- The Product Safety Manager is accountable for activities that are led from the global Safety function and support new product development, as well as products currently on the market that constitute the product lifecycle of cosmetics, OTC drug products and natural health products distributed and sold by Revlon globally.
- The Product Safety Manager ensures that all global safety requirements associated with evaluation of raw materials, ingredients and formulas in product development, as well as corporate post-market safety/surveillance responsibilities, are clearly and proactively communicated to domestic and international business units, to ensure the appropriate balance of safety compliance with business priority needs.
- Ensures the safety of Revlon products worldwide by directing the safety assessment for all Revlon ingredients and products.
- Provides leadership and direction to global Product Safety personnel.
- Leads initiatives and provides strategic direction for Product Safety to key stakeholders including R&D, Marketing, Legal, Regulatory and Operations.
- Contributes to the development of corporate policies and statements related to product safety, sustainability and ingredients.
- Manages Third Party Manufacturing (TPM) projects, review of TPM documentation (Product Information Files, raw material and formula information, vendor certificates) and contributes to TPM product registrations to support Revlon product TTM deadlines.
- Serves as the first line of Safety direction and support to Product Development/PMO organizations for all Revlon product categories.
- Recognized as the Product Safety expert on raw material/ingredient, formula and product safety assessment.
- Ensures timely completion of safety evaluations on raw materials/ingredients and corresponding Cosmetic Safety Reports according to applicable safety/regulatory guidelines (e.g., EU Cosmetics regulations).
- Reviews product formulas for their intended use/foreseeable misuse and determine appropriate in vitro and clinical studies to substantiate their safety. Employs read across methods, including literature search, existing databases, and QSAR, wherever possible to reduce testing needs.
- Conducts risk assessments, associated impact analyses and proposes solutions to senior management.
- Track safety testing priorities against safety testing budget and recommend cost savings as appropriate.
- Manage post-market safety/surveillance (i.e., Cosmetovigilance) operations that require product safety input and expertise. Serve as the Product Safety representative on the Global Cosmetovigilance Committee.
- Provides product safety guidance and technical support to the Claims testing functions.
- Represents Revlon in trade associations and scientific advisory committees (e.g., SOT, SETAC, PCPC, CosEU), monitors key issues related to Revlon interests and makes recommendations to management regarding best possible courses of action.
- Responsible for goal setting and career development of direct reports for continual growth of functional expertise and skills.
- Responsible for overall department succession planning and talent retention.
- Represent Revlon at the scientific meetings (e.g., SOT, SETAC and PCPC symposiums).
- Remain current with latest safety evaluation technologies and apply improved approaches to support product development wherever possible.
Other Job Details:
- Collaborates with multiple corporate functions (R&D, Legal, Marketing, Regulatory, Claims, etc.) to ensure on time delivery of product initiatives.
- Manages a global Safety team to evaluate raw materials, ingredients, formulations and finished products.
- ‘Working Manager” best describes this position. The person that accepts this role must be directly involved in resolving questions and managing issues related to safety for Revlon businesses.
- Fast-paced product development at Revlon requires this position to actively contribute to the success of all stakeholders, by ensuring that the global Safety meets or beats project deadlines for all deliverables, without compromising product safety.
- Defining, recommending, and leading work process improvements that gain efficiencies, reduce costs and speed TTM is expected.
A graduate degree in Toxicology, Pharmacology, Biochemistry or related Life Science discipline is required, with a PhD or PharmD strongly preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years safety experience (for PhD/PharmD degreed candidates; 10 years for candidates with a Masters degree) in Cosmetics, OTC Drugs, Consumer Healthcare, Personal Care and/or Specialty Chemical industries is required. Previous experience with specific cosmetic product categories (e.g., Color Cosmetics, Skin Care, Deodorants, Hair Color and Hair Care) and OTC drugs (Sunscreens, Anti-Acne, Skin Protectants, Anti-Dandruff) is highly preferred.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience managing a high performing Safety team (preferably with global responsibilities) is required.
- Previous success in evaluating, developing and measuring (i.e., KPIs/metrics) improved, more efficient work processes is needed.
- Excellent problem-solving skills to identify options when facing challenges combined robust written and verbal skills to clearly recommend best course of action to all Leadership levels.
- Demonstrated acumen with Microsoft (Excel, Word), SAP, etc., as well as ability to quickly become familiar with internal and external databases employed by Revlon to optimize work product completion, efficiency and accuracy.
- Must be fully fluent in English. Fluency in Spanish a plus.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Revlon has a long-standing reputation as a trendsetter in the worlds of cosmetics, skin care, fragrance, and personal care, having established itself as an innovator in beauty when the company was founded in 1932. Revlon is a global color cosmetics, hair color, beauty tools, fragrance, skin care, anti-perspirant/deodorant, and beauty care products company, with a mission driven by glamour, excitement, and innovation through the creation of high-quality products at affordable prices.