Warner Bros. Television seeks a Director, Music Clearance for the Studios & Networks department.
Responsible for overseeing music clearances obtained for use in WBTV/Warner Horizon produced television series, which includes negotiating fees and licensing to acquire rights.
- Research songs to determine publisher and/or master owners of musical pieces requested. Negotiate fees and licensing terms with publishers, writers, lawyers and others who represent third-party music used by Warner Bros., in order to obtain rights and quotations for use of any such protected music. Re-negotiate with rights holder to make sure Warner Bros. is legally covered for music that is used in ways other than what was previously negotiated.
- Input into departmental database song and license fee information for all third party songs cleared. Generate and distribute quote confirmation letters, license request letters, check approval sheet, and check transmittal letters.
- Oversee independent Music Supervisors to ensure they follow studio policy and preset guidelines such as making sure fees are negotiated properly, songs are cleared according to Warner Bros. policy, and paperwork is correct and delivered in a timely manner. Advise music accountant when to release supervisors’ payments.
- Ascertains music licensing budgets and works to keep show within said budget. Track and advise Producers and Production Executives of any budgetary overages within a timely manner. Work closely with Producers to insure that all outside music used by the shows is cleared for use prior to filming.
- Negotiates rights for third party Main Title theme songs used in WBTV and Warner Horizon product. Negotiates, drafts, and finalizes required main title synchronization and master use licenses, COA’s, Assignment of Copyrights, Waivers, Step-Outs, Co-Administration and Co-publishing Agreements, Songwriter Agreements, etc.
- Research and confirm all subtitling and dubbing rights for all current and past Televisions and Animations shows.
- Provide support to Worldwide Marketing and Publicity departments in all matters relating to music clearance for new marketing strategies pertaining to current television product as well as provide clearance advice and services for music contained in publicity and marketing clips and/or pilots requiring clearance for marketing campaigns prior to air.
- Prepares cost analysis for music used in all WBTV and Warner Horizon productions. Compiles and distributes quarterly reports for music clearance option fees for International and Domestic Television, Home Entertainment and Digital, for the WBTV and Warner Horizon catalogue of television programs being sold and oversees the acquisition of additional rights required by each of these divisions.
- Breakdown scripts and issue music budgets for pilots/series/amorts and special projects for all clearance elements.
- Research pre-negotiate fees and finalize all deals with Independent Music Libraries.
- Screen Television shows and check music cue sheet accuracy for each Television show, ensuring that the music is licensed or covered by composer’s agreement.
- Review and consult on all music used in Home Entertainment special features and promos for DVD release of television product.
- Interfaces with Legal Department with respect to possible copyright infringement matters.
- Preparation of Accounts Payable paperwork and the researching and providing of vendor payee information for checks processed by the department, as well as handling of stale-date check issues.
- Collect final music breakdowns and cue sheets for all pilots and post on shared drive
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 10 years prior experience working in the areas of music clearance, music publishing, publishing administration, music supervision, and / or music copyright.
- High School diploma or equivalent is required.
- College Degree preferred.
- Must have thorough knowledge of music clearance procedures related to the TV/Film Industry
- Thorough and cost effective negotiation skills
- Must be able to communicate effectively and tactfully with Producers, Directors, Publishers, Writers, Lawyers and all levels of personnel
- Must be able to read, interpret and negotiate Synchronization and Master Use agreements
- Strong relationships with publishers and record companies and other professionals within the industry.
- Must have excellent organizational and follow-through skills
- In-depth knowledge of publishers, composer, public domain music, and the like
- Must be able to work independently with minimal or no supervision
- Must have knowledge of Word, Excel, and Microsoft Access
But Wait, There’s More!
- Exclusive WarnerMedia events and advance screenings
- Paid time off every year to volunteer for eligible employees
- Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
- Access to in-house learning and development resources
- Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
About Warner Bros. Television
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
Warner Bros. has been entertaining audiences for more than 90 years through the world’s most-loved characters and franchises. Warner Bros. employs people all over the world in a wide variety of disciplines. We're always on the lookout for energetic, creative people to join our team.
Business Unit Overview
Warner Bros. Television Group (WBTVG) develops and oversees the entire portfolio of Warner Bros.’ television businesses, including worldwide production, traditional and digital distribution and broadcasting. Warner Bros’ content is distributed around the world by Warner Bros. Television’s Domestic and International Distribution groups.