Overview

The Alabama Department of Archives and History (ADAH) seeks an organized, team-oriented, and enthusiastic Curator of Education. This is a full-time position with state benefits. The person will collaboratively plan and implement programming for audiences ranging from early childhood to K-12 to college. Programs include school tours, distance learning, summer library outreach, K-12 teacher institutes, and a children’s interactive gallery. The position will report to the Education Coordinator.

Salary: $34,761.60 – $52,653.60

JOB INFORMATION

The Curator (Education/Interpretation Option) is a permanent, full-time position with the Alabama Department of Archives and History. Positions are located in Montgomery, Alabama. This is entry-level professional curatorial work in association with a museum or historic site.

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS

  • Bachelor’s degree from an accredited* four-year college or university in museum education, museum studies, public history, history, social sciences education, archaeology, heritage resources, folklore, or a closely related field
  • One year of work experience with educational or interpretive programs at a museum, archives, or historic site
  • For the promotional register, current, permanent status as a Cultural Resources Assistant

NOTES

  • Additional education in the required field of study beyond the minimum listed above and which included a museum internship or practicum may be substituted for the required work experience.
  • Employees may be required to work overtime, irregular and weekend hours on a regular basis.

DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:

  • Provides tours of museum galleries using accepted interpretive techniques.
  • Assists in developing school tours and associated materials by collaborating on tour content and assessing course of study standards alignment.
  • Works collaboratively with education staff in the creation of educational and interpretive programming.
  • Assists in implementing educational outreach programs, both in-person and virtual.
  • Assists in developing activities, traveling resources, digital media, and other educational resources for parents and teachers.
  • Assists in planning and implementing Alabama History Institutes for K-12 teachers and preservice teachers.
  • Other duties as assigned.

PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES

  • Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
  • Ability to prioritize and follow tasks through to completion in a timely manner.
  • Knowledge of Alabama and American History.
  • Knowledge of museum education and interpretation concepts and best practices.
  • Knowledge of current curriculum initiatives and learning theory.
  • Ability to lead museum tours.
  • Ability to interact professionally and appropriately with staff, volunteers, visitors, and other stakeholders.
  • Interest in application of technology in museums.
  • Excellent verbal and communication skills.
  • Proficiency in use of Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat.

EXAMINATION

  • Open-Competitive to all applicants and Promotional to current state employees in the classification listed above.
  • An Evaluation of Training and Experience as shown on the application will comprise 100% of the final score for the open-competitive register. The evaluation of Training and Experience will comprise 95% of the applicant’s final score for the promotional register, with the remaining 5% being based on the average of the applicant’s service ratings for the last three years.

HOW TO APPLY

  • Complete an Application for Examination Form available at www.personnel.alabama.gov or any Alabama Career Center Office.
  • Apply online, by mail, or by fax. Applications will be accepted until further notice. The State Personnel Department is not responsible for late receipt of applications due to mail service or faxing malfunctions.

Veteran’s credits are NOT allowed on promotional exam

This position will require occasional weekend and after-hours work and some travel, mostly in-state.

Classification:  30451 Curator (Education/Interpretation Option – 358)

About the Agency:

The ADAH was founded in 1901 and serves as the state archives and state history museum. It is located within the Capitol complex in downtown Montgomery. To learn more about the agency, visit http://www.encyclopediaofalabama.org/article/h-2014.

In June 2020, the agency issued a Statement of Recommitment to inclusive history: https://archives.alabama.gov/docs/ADAH_Statement_Recommitment_200623.pdf

This is a State of Alabama Merit System position. Candidates lacking education or experience to qualify for the merit system position may alternatively qualify for a Professional Trainee appointment in a merit position.

The deadline to apply is December 15, 2020. Candidates will be selected for interview based on the information submitted. The anticipated hiring date is early 2021.